I'm personally a big fan of Vitamin D & Zinc whenever I feel run down or feel a cold coming. I was excited to see one of my favorite new podcasts, Science Vs tackle this topic.
Here's a quick recap on what I took away from this episode:
- Vitamin D has virtually eradicated rickets.
- Vitamin D can help bone health but beyond that, the science is opinionated.
- Omega 3 is proven to help rats fight nerve damage, reduce brain inflammation & prevent Alzheimer's disease. Humans are not as easy to study.
- Calcium supplements are pretty much worthless.
- Multivitamins are probably worth little value for people eating healthy but appear to be safe to take as an insurance.
- Vitamin C & Zinc have evidence to decrease the length of a cold, but not prevent one.
A couple other items were interesting & informative. The history of vitamins was something I knew nothing of before. Science Vs illustrates how hard studying human diets can be. From now on whenever I think of Vitamin D, I'll also start singing Ludacris
To listen, checkout the "Vitamins & Supplements - Are They Worth It?" episode page or download it on your favorite podcast app. The episode page also contains links to additional research if you're interested.